We are Family: Planning for Family Engagement in the Charter School Life Cycle
Charter school leaders from across the country gathered virtually to explore the National Charter School Resource Center’s (NCSRC) newest resource, Planning for Family Engagement in the Charter School Life Cycle: A Toolkit for School Leaders. The event provided and introduction to the toolkit and a panel discussion exploring elements of the toolkit in action. Participants at the live event also engaged in small group discussions about challenges they face in fostering effective family engagement strategies. Key takeaways from this event include the following:
- Focus on trusting relationships between families and educators.
- Connect family engagement activities and efforts to student learning.
- Build an inclusive team to help tackle family engagement efforts.
- Make a plan, with the North Star as guidance
- Use continuous improvement to keep your plan alive
- Laura Groth, Ed.D., National Charter School Resource Center
- Maria Paredes, Ed.D, WestEd
- Jennifer Todd, U.S. Department of Education, Charter School Programs
- Diana Rios, YES Prep Southeast Elementary School
- Jocquell Rodgers, Green Dot Public Schools Tennessee